This venison chili is a warm and hearty meal that’s exploding with flavor!
- 2 pounds bacon, diced
- 3 pounds ground venison
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves crushed (we love garlic around here, adjust to your liking)
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste (can also use sun dried tomatoes, roughly chop 4 or so)
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Whatever toppings you want: sour cream, chives, green onion, onion, shredded cheddar or jack cheese, etc.
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper-lined plate to drain.
- Add the venison to the hot oil in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally and in batches if necessary, until well seared.
- Remove from the pan and toss into crock pot.
- Add the onions, bell peppers and garlic and saute over medium-low heat until tender.
- Stir in the wine and the tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the dry spices, chopped tomatoes, and the beef stock.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Transfer sauce into the crockpot with the venison and add the bacon.
- Let cook in crock pot on low as long as you can take it, at least 4hrs, stirring occasionally then scoop, top, serve, & nom!
TIP: Once chili is at a simmer, remove the crock pot lid and simmer for 30-45 minutes to thicken.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: venison, chili, venison chili