These gelatin worms are the most realistic of all the Halloween snacks out there. They are super difficult to make, but totally worth it if you have the patience.
- 4 (1/4 oz.) Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
- 2 Tbs. Beet Root Powder
- 3 Cups Boiling Water
- 100 Flexible Plastic Straws
- 1 Tall Slender 4 Cup Container (same height as extended straws, empty milk or orange juice carton works great for this)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Cream
- 12 –15 Drops of Green Food Coloring
- 1 Rolling Pin
- In a bowl, combine gelatin and beet root powder.
- Add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve. Chill until lukewarm, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in a tall container.
- Blend coconut cream with the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Pour into a container, filling straws.
- Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Pull straws from the container (if using a carton, tear carton away from straws). Pull straws apart; run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with a rolling pin, or use your fingers; lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Worms will hold at room temperature up to 2 hours.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gelatin worms