Shirataki Noodle Pho (Keto, Paleo, GFDF)
There's nothing quite as satisfying as a really good bowl of pho. That broth! So I decided to make a low-carb version with shiitake noodles. They hold up great and make for a great bowl of pho.
Servings 1 Pot of Soup
- 1 Large White Onion Peeled and Halved
- 3-inch Piece Fresh Ginger Halved Lengthwise
- 5 Star Anise
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 3 3-inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Coriander Seeds
- 8 Cups Bone Broth or Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetener
- 2 Teaspoons Fish Sauce
- Fine Sea Salt to Taste
- 8 Ounces protein very thinly sliced (steak, chicken, pork, or shrimp)
- 7 Ounces uncooked shirataki noodles
Your Garnish of Choice:
- Fresh herbs cilantro, mint, and/or Thai basil
- Bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Thinly-sliced chiles Thai bird chiles or jalapeños
- Thinly-sliced onions green onions or white onions
- Sauces hoisin and/or sriracha
- Thinly-sliced veggies carrot, cabbage, etc..
Char the onions and ginger under the broiler for about 7-10 minutes, until the tops of the onion and ginger are slightly charred. Remove and set aside.
Heat the anise, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and coriander to a large stockpot over medium-high heat until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
Add in the charred onion, ginger, and bone broth. Continue cooking until the broth reaches a simmer.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Strain the onions, ginger, and spices. Stir in the fish sauce and sweetener and season to taste with salt.
Rinse the shirataki noodles.
Assemble and serve!
For low-iron choose a non-red meat protein.
For vegetarian substitute a vegetarian protein.
Nutrition is calculated with chicken.
Calories: 711kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 123g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 1935mg | Potassium: 1413mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 248mg | Iron: 6mg