Who says squash is boring? I know, I would totally rather have a big fat basket of real french fries…but these summer squash fries actually work to kill that craving.
Squash makes for a (surprisingly) tasty snack when you’re thinking about reaching for the fries or chips! Give these summer squash fries a try the next time you’re looking for a munchy. I used summer squash, but you can use any kind of squash you want. Many people use zucchini to make fries, that’s an option too!
They’re also a really great side dish to serve alongside burgers, barbecue chicken, or fried chicken. You can also cut the squash into cubes and create croutons for your green salad!
I chose to bake my summer squash fries, but you can absolutely throw them in your fry daddy or air fryer. It really just depends on what kind of texture you’re after. I think baking them offsets the texture of cooked squash. I think frying them in oil would make for a soggy mess, if you try it, I’d love to know how they come out.
Buy Air Fryers on Amazon! (AFFILIATE LINKS)
Let me know what you think, I think they’re pretty tasty. Dip em in Primal Kitchen ketchup, ranch if you can tolerate dairy, or homemade mayo.
- 1 medium summer squash
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups coconut flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Cut your summer squash into wedges. Remove the seeds if they are quite large and set wedges aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a dish and set aside.
- In another dish, combine the almond meal, coconut flour, paprika, mustard powder and salt and pepper.
- Start by dipping the wedges, one by one, into the egg mixture and then the flour mixture. Place each wedge on the greased baking sheet. Continue until all the wedges are done.
- You can bake the wedges as is for about 30-40 (until soft inside and golden brown on the outside) as is, but if you want a more golden texture, drizzle or spray some olive oil on top of the wedges. Flip half way through baking.
- Serve with ranch or another favorite dip.