Now that we've been through the history of cheesecake, let's get to making some! This low-carb chocolate hazelnut cheesecake recipe is perfect for the holiday season.
I don't know about you, but I think fancy cheesecakes are the classic dessert for the holidays. They look beautiful on any table, they feed a crowd, and they are so rich and decadent (even the low-carb versions) that you can only handle them once a year!
How to Dry Roast Nuts
Dry roasting your own nuts at home is really the best way to go when dealing with nuts. It's cheaper to buy them raw, and if you roast them yourself, you don't have to deal with nasty seed and vegetable oils.
I can never find dry roasted nuts, so I always dry roast my own. It's really easy. Simply spread the nuts out on a sheet pan and roast them at 420 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Check on them often to make sure they don't burn. Then let them cool. Done!
How To ReleaseCheesecake from Springform Pan
Springform pans are a pain in the ass! I don't think I've ever successfully gotten the cheesecake out of the springform pan without damaging the cake in the process. I usually don't even bother and just leave the base of the pan attached to the cake.
Here are a few tips on how to release the cheesecake from the springform pan. Hopefully, you'll have more luck than I have.
- Thoroughly chill the cheesecake overnight before trying to remove the pan.
- Line the pan with parchment paper before filling the pan.
- Run a warmed knife around the sides of the pan before releasing the spring sides.
Low-Carb Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
- 8 oz. Walnuts
- ¼ Cup Erythritol
- 6 Tbsp. Lard or Bacon Grease
- ¾ Tsp. Cinnamon
- 32 oz. Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Erythritol
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
Chocolate Hazelnut Topping:
- 2 Tbs. Coconut Oil
- 1 Ounce Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- ¼ Cup Cashew Milk
- ¼ Cup Erythritol
- 1 tsp. Stevia Glycerite
- 1 Cup Hazelnuts Roughly Chopped
- Mix all ingredients together and press into 10″ springform pan.
- Combine salt, sweetener, eggs, and lemon juice and beat till smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl add 1 package of cream cheese at a time and cream till smooth.
- Gradually add egg mixture and beat till it is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour into a springform pan and bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour. ( Put foil under pan to catch drippings.)
- Place the coconut oil and chopped chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk well until just melted, add cashew milk, and sweetener.
- Whisk until smooth and thick.
- Pour onto the top of the cooled cheesecake, top with roughly chopped hazelnuts, and set in the fridge to set.