Roasted veggies are the best side dish. This roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and onions recipe is no exception!
Roasting is an easy, great way to add major flavor and texture to any veggie. One major roasting staple at our house is broccoli, here I’ve added Brussels sprouts and onion to mix things up. Mushrooms are another great item to add to the mix. Easy, delicious, and great for you!
Roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and onions are a fantastic side dish for just about any protein or main dish. Here are a few of my favorite pairings:
The best thing about veggies is that they are already gluten and dairy-free, we just have to keep them that way!
Usually, butter is used as the fat of choice when dealing with vegetables. If you can have dairy, then butter it up, baby! But, if you’re like me, and you have to steer clear of the buttery goodness, I recommend using any of the following fats for roasting veggies:
- Bacon Grease or Lard
- My ride or die fat of choice.
- Beef or Bison Tallow
- Chicken Smaltz or Duck Fat
- Coconut Oil
- Heads up, some brands may have a coconut flavor. Look for refined rather than virgin to get a more neutral flavor profile.
- Avocado Oil
- Careful here, avocado oil is very high in omega 6 fatty acids and can cause inflammation if your omega 3 to omega 6 ratios are not balanced.
You can also play around with different spices. I have used everything from paprika, salt, and pepper to cajun seasoning. Any spice or herb that suits your fancy will be a great addition to roasted veggies!Print
Roasted veggies are the best veggies, especially when you mix up a bunch of different veggies!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all veggies in a bowl with the bacon grease and spices.
- Pour veggies onto a sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly and serve immediately.
Tip: For super crunchy Brussels sprouts, arrange them cut side down on the sheet pan.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Roasted Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Onions