These fun and creepy cheddar witches finger crackers are a traditional cracker at Halloween bashes far and wide. Unfortunately, as cool as they are, these are traditionally a high-carb snack made with white flour.
Few items are safe from the low-carb tweak and I’ve been able to make these low-carb friendly. Adapted from this recipe, you can assure your friends that these are on plan and delicious!
This recipe is quite a bit of work and in order to get the dough to form the correct witches finger shape, it has to be frozen or deeply chilled more than once in the process. Make sure you allow plenty of time to make these well ahead of your party.
The gluten-free flour substitutes used to make the dough difficult to mold. If you the dough is too wet, you can add a bit of coconut flour to soak up the extra moisture. You want to get the dough to a place where it can be molded. The freezing or chilling process will help hold things in place, but the right texture helps a ton.
You can serve cheddar witches finger crackers plain on their own or pair them with a very creepy brain dip or a skull-shaped cheese ball. You can also serve these super realistic Dead Man’s Ribs and this Halloween bloody mary alongside these for a fun and festive Halloween meal.
Cheddar Witches Finger Crackers Tips
Some people were reporting problems with the cheese cracker recipe suggested for the Cheddar Witches Fingers. There were reports of the dough rising like bread and any detailing on the fingers were lost.
So I went back to the drawing board to see what the problem was and I suspect it was the two tablespoons of flax meal the recipe calls for. I needed something to cut the stickiness of the dough so you could shape it into fingers and the flax did that.
For some, it also makes the dough rise too much. So if you’re having issues try omitting the flax meal.Print
These cheddar witches finger crackers are a super fun snack for your Halloween party. You’re guests will be amazed that you took the time to make them.
- 5 Tbs. Butter
- 1/4 Lbs. (about 1 cup packed) Shredded Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 2 tbs. Flax Meal
- 1 Large Egg
- Kosher Salt
- 30 Sliced Almonds
- In a food processor or bowl, mix butter, cheese, flax meal, and almond flour until the mixture has the texture of wet sand. Add egg and mix until dough holds together.
- Scrape dough onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Top with another sheet of paper and pat dough into a 1/2-in. thick circle. Wrap in plastic and freeze 15 minutes, or refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Roll dough into a rectangle, working carefully to avoid creases in paper. Return to freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel off top paper and use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 30 strips, each about 1/2 in. thick. Place each strip on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt to taste, then use your fingers to round the top of each strip into a fingertip shape. Use a sharp knife to score shallow “knuckle” lines in each finger, then press an almond “nail” into the tip. If you like, bend each finger in places to make it look knobby.
- Bake the fingers until an even light brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Add a Tbs. of coconut flour if the dough is too wet.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheddar witches finger crackers