This garlic mashed cauliflower doesn’t taste anything like mashed potatoes. Oh, the potato! I love potatoes so much. Any kind of potato, no matter how you prepare them, I love them.
Don’t believe the hype, cauliflower will never taste like potato and there is no vegetable that will ever taste like potato. You have to let go of the potato. Grieve the loss and set yourself free!
So, if you’re looking for a stand-in for your beloved mashed potatoes, that’s not what this is. This garlic mashed cauliflower recipe is an otherwise delicious veggie side dish that you can serve in place of any high-carbohydrate side dish.
This side is hearty, filling, and super versatile. You can add anything you want to these to change up the flavor. This side pairs well well with any meat dish, are food allergy-friendly, and they are great for Tuesday night or Christmas dinner.
If you can tolerate dairy, they can be doctored up like mashed potatoes with butter, cream cheese, sour cream, or cheddar cheese. You can also spruce them up with crumbled bacon, green onion, or chives.
- 1 Head Fresh Cauliflower
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbs. Minced Garlic
- Dash of Salt
- Steam one head of cleaned and segmented cauliflower (do not boil).
- Purée the steamed cauliflower with a food processor or blender to your desired creaminess.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the cauliflower purée as possible using a dish towel or (better) cheesecloth. Do not skip this step, this is the key to a potato like texture.
- Add the cauliflower purée back into the food processor with coconut oil and garlic and blend well.