I love guacamole! There's nothing quite like fresh guacamole made table-side at an authentic Mexican restaurant. So good and it's actually really simple to make at home! I make homemade guacamole at least once a week.
You can serve guacamole on anything. Of course, it's perfect for any Mexican or Mexican inspired dish - tacos, burritos, carnitas, enchilada omelets, etc. You can also dip fresh veggies in it or serve it on the side of pretty much anything.
Shop Serving Bowls on Amazon! (AFFILIATE LINKS)
How to Choose a Ripe Avocado
The key to good guacamole is good avocados. I find that many people struggle with picking ripe avocados. They're either super green and hard as a rock or too ripe and brown and mushy.
I have a few tips for choosing a perfectly ripe avocado:
- Make sure the belly button is intact. You know, the little brown stem that's left after the avocado is picked. If it's missing, you won't be able to tell how ripe the avocado is.
- Look for avocados that are dark but not black and there should be no sunken in areas or mold (obviously).
- Gently squeeze them with your forefinger and thumb. You're looking for a little give but not mush.
- If 2 and 3 check out, you're probably good. You can also remove that belly button and check to see if the flesh inside the fruit is green or brown. I reserve this as a last resort though, since you'll be leaving avocados with missing belly buttons for other customers.
- Pro Tip: If you end up with an avocado that is not yet ripe, just let it sit out on the counter until meets the above criteria and then store it in the fridge.
Once you have your perfect avocado, it's really all about mushing it together with the rest of the seasonings and munching down!
Viola! Homemade guacamole in minutes!
Homemade Guacamole (GFDF, Paleo, Keto, AIP, Whole30, Vegetarian, Low-Iron)
- 1 Large Ripe Avocado
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Diced Tomato optional - omit for AIP
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne optional - omit for AIP
- In a medium bowl, mash together avocado, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Mix in optional ingredients if you choose.
- Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.