This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This slow cooker pork carnitas recipe is awesome. There's nothing easier than throwing everything into the slow cooker before you start your day for a super easy dinner!
We have a lot of lettuce tacos around here. I usually do ground or shredded beef or fajita-style chicken. Always a great meal, but this time I was in the mood for a different kind of taco, something more like you would get at Chipotle only using a lettuce leaf in place of the tortilla.
After perusing the meat in the freezer I settled on a huge pork shoulder roast and set to hunting for a recipe. I looked at a lot of recipes and finally, I put together my own. I can't follow a recipe to save my life. I always have to change it up and customize it anyway.
Shop Slow Cookers on Amazon! (AFFILIATE LINKS)
I like to use either ice burg or romaine lettuce to make a taco shell. These seem to hold up the best and are large enough to hold a substantial amount of filling. I skip the cheese since I'm dairy-free and add either homemade guacamole or fresh avocado slices, diced tomato, and salsa. I always have to have salsa!
If you're allowing a few more carbohydrates and you need a good grain-free taco shell or chip, I can definitely recommend Siete Foods. Siete makes a fantastic grain-free hard taco shell that nearly tastes like the real deal. I also really like Late July's grain-free tortilla chip. I think these taste just like a real corn chip, only better!
Shop Grain-Free on Amazon! (AFFILIATE LINKS)
- 3 lb boneless pork roast shoulder or butt, cut into bite-size strips
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp each: black pepper; cumin; oregano; lemon pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Combine ingredients in crockpot.
- Cook on high 1 hour, then low 8 hours.
- Remove pork with a slotted spoon.
- Pour liquid into a nonstick skillet and boil down to about ½ c.
- Add pork and saute until browned.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings - guacamole, salsa, sour cream, etc.