This slow cooker pork carnitas recipe is awesome. There's nothing easier than throwing everything into the slow cooker before you start your day for a super easy dinner!
We have a lot of lettuce tacos around here. I usually do ground or shredded beef or fajita-style chicken. Always a great meal, but this time I was in the mood for a different kind of taco, something more like you would get at Chipotle only using a lettuce leaf in place of the tortilla.
After perusing the meat in the freezer I settled on a huge pork shoulder roast and set to hunting for a recipe. I looked at a lot of recipes and finally, I put together my own. I can't follow a recipe to save my life. I always have to change it up and customize it anyway.
Shop Slow Cookers on Amazon! (AFFILIATE LINKS)
I like to use either ice burg or romaine lettuce to make a taco shell. These seem to hold up the best and are large enough to hold a substantial amount of filling. I skip the cheese since I'm dairy-free and add either homemade guacamole or fresh avocado slices, diced tomato, and salsa. I always have to have salsa!
If you're allowing a few more carbohydrates and you need a good grain-free taco shell or chip, I can definitely recommend Siete Foods. Siete makes a fantastic grain-free hard taco shell that nearly tastes like the real deal. I also really like Late July's grain-free tortilla chip. I think these taste just like a real corn chip, only better!
Shop Grain-Free on Amazon! (AFFILIATE LINKS)
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (GFDF, Keto, Whole30, Paleo)
- 3 lb boneless pork roast shoulder or butt, cut into bite-size strips
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon each: black pepper; cumin; oregano; lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Combine ingredients in crockpot.
- Cook on high 1 hour, then low 8 hours.
- Remove pork with a slotted spoon.
- Pour liquid into a nonstick skillet and boil down to about ½ c.
- Add pork and saute until browned.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings - guacamole, salsa, sour cream, etc.