Holiday recipes always seem to call for cream of mushroom soup! If you suffer from food allergies then the good old faithful Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup is just not gonna get the job done this year.
When I started moving over to a low-carb lifestyle I turned to a low-carb cream of mushroom bacon soup from my pal Jamie over at The Lighter Side of Low-Carb. Now that I’ve discovered I’m allergic to dairy I’ve set out on a mission for a dairy-free, gluten-free, and still low-carb version.
Well, folks, I’ve got it figured out and just in time for Thanksgiving! I don’t think Blake could live through Turkey Day without his beloved green bean casserole! Only, this year, he won’t have to pay the price with tummy troubles.
Most cream of mushroom soup recipes calls for half and half or heavy cream. I’ve chosen to substitute with unsweetened almond milk, but I think any non-dairy milk will work in this recipe. So, if you need a nut-free or AIP version, just use the milk that is safe for you.
I’m not gonna lie, this recipe came out pretty great. I also chose to use the crock-pot here since this is an ingredient that I use in other recipes. I need to be able to scale it easily to make large batches for canning and it’s just plain easier to throw it all in the pot and let it cook so I can make this any time and store it. That way I can make whatever recipe calls for it at any time or just have a bowl for lunch.
I’m using this to make Shepard’s pie tonight and will use it in a green bean casserole this Thanksgiving along with many other recipes that have traditionally called for the canned version.Print
Every recipe around the holidays seems to call for cream of mushroom soup. If you suffer from food allergies, this can be tough. So I created a gluten-free and dairy-free cream of mushroom soup and it’s great!
- 3 Punnets Fresh Mushrooms, Sliced
- 6 Cups Bone Broth
- ½ Chopped Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/8 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 3 tbs. Bacon Fat
- 3 tbs. Coconut Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- In a large heavy saucepan, sauté mushrooms with onion, garlic, and thyme in bacon fat until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree 1/3 of the mixture, leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside. For a smoother soup puree all of the mixture.
- Add chicken broth to crock-pot, whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, almond milk and all mushrooms including puree. Bring soup to a boil on high, turn heat to low and cook 6-8 hrs. or until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Swap out the unsweetened almond milk for your non-dairy milk of choice and leave out the ground black pepper to make this AIP friendly.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cream of mushroom soup
Here’s what I came up with…Let me know what you think!0