Body parts are probably the most popular Halloween party food replica and these shrimp ears are the most realistic body part I've seen so far. There are a ton of Halloween eyeball and severed finger recipes, but these are different!
This recipe is the creepiest of the creepy! It reminds me of all the horror movies where the serial killer takes ears as trophies. Eeeew! That's the stuff real nightmares are made of.
I first saw this recipe years ago on a now-defunct website that had the most realistic cannibal dinner party. It was so gross and so cool! There were shrimp fingers and scallop testicles. I love this idea for an adult Halloween dinner party.
I think that would be a pretty creepy dinner party. So realistic! Of course, I'd add some plastic severed limbs and red wine in super cool gothic wine glasses for that added effect. Dim lights, spooky music, maybe some fog from a fog machine. Oooey, I'd totally go to that party!
- 1 Pound Medium or Large Shrimp Cleaned and Divided
- ¼ Pound Small Peeled Shrimp
- 3 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Head of Garlic Cloves Peeled and Chopped
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tsp. Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Salt to Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice to Taste
- Completely peel and devein the medium to large shrimp. Butterfly them generously to devein. This helps give them their "ear" shape.
- Tuck a small peeled and deveined shrimp into curve of each larger shrimp. Skewer them both together with a toothpick. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a large saute pan. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook over low heat until garlic is very tender, about 15 minutes. Don't let it burn or brown!
- Add rosemary. Cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Salt and pepper the shrimp to taste and add them to the pan. You may need to do this in stages. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, until pink and cooked through. Sprinkle with lemon juice to taste and keep warm (if desired-- they're also good cold) until ready to serve.